Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What the Heck has Holly Been Doing?

Hey Folks!

Let me tell you about what's been going on 
in my neck of the woods these days.

While everyone on Pinterest
has gotten the spring cleaning bug,
I've been busy doing a little cleaning
but have gotten the 
"Let's do a project" bug!

A few months ago I decided to change out
the colors in my house.

I went from reds and yellows
to blues and yellows.
While it was very pretty,
it never felt like my house.


I kept walking into the living room
wondering who lived there.
It was so NOT my style.

Fortunately, I didn't spend a lot of money
to make these changes.
The only semi expensive piece I bought was the 
blue ottoman in the picture above.

After trying to love it for a couple of months,
I sorta went crazy the other morning and 
moved my reds back into the living room and kitchen.

I'm home again.
I think it's impossible for me to be happy
in a house without red and yellow.
 This picture looks like I have yellow walls.
I do not.
That's just the sunlight coming through the open door to the right.
They are off white but I'm digging the yellow in the picture.
Hmmmmm....


The blues all got moved into the bedroom
since it's still a work in progress.


As for the projects,
well, 
I just sorta went nuts.

I've been seeing a lot of DIY chalk paint
on Pinterest lately and thought I'd give it a try.
I'm a goner now.

I am head over heels in love with chalk paint!
You can do no wrong with it.
It doesn't show brush strokes
and it's very forgiving.
There's no preparation,
you don't have to sand before painting.
It drys very quickly.

I'm a horrible painter
which is something my daughter pointed out to me 
just a couple of weeks ago.

I hate the preparation.
The waiting for the project to dry.

For the chalk paint I used 
at I Heart Naptime.

It was so simple to make and I was hooked.

Please excuse the photo quality
on all of these.
They were all taken with my iPhone.

Here is an old before picture from my previous house
 of an end table that I bought
 at Goodwill several years ago.
Not bad but the honey pine 
just wasn't doing it for me.


I forgot to take a before picture
prior to this project.

I used Behr Pale Honey on the bottom
and Minwax stain in walnut for the top.


I love the soft yellow.
The picture below shows the color more accurately.


Then I sorta lost my mind and 
decided to pull out an old dresser
that I've had forever.
I had bought it for $2.00 at a garage sale
a few years ago.
I had gotten around to sanding it
and there it sat, just like that for over two years.
Crazy right?

Because in just over an hour it went from this:


To this:



I used Behr Awning Red.
I was shocked that I found my perfect red on my first try.

If you're thinking about painting a piece of furniture,
DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE CHALK PAINT.

Also, I've been playing around with color
in the house.
I have some fabric that I bought a few years
ago and love it.
I actually loved it so much that I never wanted to
cut it and use it.
Am I crazy?

I finally decided to attempt to use it.

I bought six of these chairs on Craigslist 
after we moved into this house.
While sturdy, they are a little boring.

I CUT MY FABRIC!

I attached it to the seat pads with
upholstery twist pins
 and I'm liking this happy fabric 
on my chairs.


If you can look at this fabric
and not smile,
then I just don't want to know you.

The chairs themselves need some work.
They are dried out and in need of 
a good wood conditioning.
I bought them off Craigslist from a guy
who raised St. Bernard puppies.

Teeth marks add character in my book.

Next project.
It's just a small one.
I had an old outdoor tablecloth
that I never used anymore.
I made some pillows out of it
for my side patio.


 And now I had better get to the spring cleaning.
And then I may just run to Goodwill to see what needs painted.

Also, if you could say a prayer for
my dear friend, Kris at Simplify.
Her Momma had surgery today.
Kris has the most amazing family.
Keep them in your thoughts and prayers today.

xxx-ooo
Holly 

I'm linking up to The Golden Sycamore


10 comments:

Connie said...

Ohhh love that red dresser. That came out gorgeous! Good job! The end table looks sooo much better now and much more like YOU. Hey I love that table on your side patio. That area looks so comfy and homey! Love love love it.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Is chalk paint the same as chalk board paint? I love what you have done!

LALA said...

Very cool Holly!! I do love the reds too, they just make it pop!

Ashley said...

She lives! I have been wondering what you have been up to all this time! I am on the verge of painting my currently yellow living room and red kitchen something else that is not red and yellow! I get the whole "this is not me" thing. I must also try this chalk paint sometime.

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

I'm with you I need red and yellow too.

The furniture looks great. Said my prayers for Kris' mom.

Hugs,

Valerie
Cottage Making Mommy
www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

Deb~in~Denver said...

Love all of your projects! That red dresser is gorgeous! I think I need to find something to paint that color and also try the chalk paint. I have an old Hoosier that needs re-painted, might have to try that on it! I don't think I could ever get rid of my reds, have them in almost every room. Your fabric is very happy, love the aqua & red!

Kris & her mom are in my daily prayers, they sure are a beautiful family!

So good to see you back in the saddle!

Bonnie said...

I was noticing your patio furniture and wondered where you purchased it. We looked a set yesterday that we really liked and it looks very similar to yours.

Holly said...

Hi Bonnie: I tried to contact you through your blogger profile and it takes me to a link for Craftily Ever after by Jessica. Not sure what's going on with that and I can't contact you so I'm leaving you a message here. I got the patio set from Sears last year. I think it's Ty Pennington but I'm not sure. Thanks

Genn said...

Hi Holly!!!
What a fun post!
I love your decor style. That red was genius!! It turned out SO good!!! Makes me want to paint something real bad.

I love that you brought the red back into your house too. When it doesn't feel right, you do what you gotta do! I love it. Your house always looks so cozy and inviting!

Kris said...

Holly girl, I am late to the party, but I made it here. I remember you saying you had asked for prayer for my Mom on your blog, and then when I got home, and did my catching up, I just kept reading from the most recent blog postings that were listed on my blog roll. Never made it here til now. What a bunch of great projects you had going on here. LOVE the red chest!!! And you know me, I love my reds. I think every rooms needs to have at least some read in it! I like blue too, and especially blue and yellow together. But red....and yellow...NOW we're talking! Love your patio furniture! Nice!!
Someday, I hope to get to go visit you in Arizona! Someday....
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers regarding my dear Mom. I loved the mug you sent, and have been using it nearly every day. I think of you!! Mom is doing well, but she is still not out of the woods. More tests, before they will know what kind of treatment she will need.
Sorry to ramble on so...
Love ya kid!!
XO Kris